10 Tips to Lose Weight for Good
Simple rules for a lifetime of healthy eating
By Dr. Mark Liponis, PARADE Magazine
Forget all the complicated eating plans or one-size-fits-all diets. These simple rules are the key to a lifetime of healthy eating:
1. Know how many calories you need to eat each day
2. Eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day Letting yourself get too hungry causes a drop in blood sugar and can lead to binging. Keep snacks to approximately 200 calories each and make sure they combine protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats.
3. Consume 5 or 6 servings of fruits and vegetables every day Important for a low cholesterol diet!There is no replacement for these nutritional powerhouses, filled with fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. (Dark-colored fruits and vegetables are best.)
4. Become a label-reader Eliminate trans fats and saturated fats. Aim for a diet of 40% carbohydrates (whole grains and fruit), 30% lean protein (chicken breasts and turkey) and 30% healthy fats such as olive oil.
5. Choose healthy carbs Important for a low cholesterol diet!Switch to whole grains—wheat bread, brown rice, fruits and vegetables, for example. Eliminate refined carbs such as sugar and white flour. Limit alcohol consumption, which is fairly high in calories.
6. Practice portion control A serving of protein should be about the size of your palm, and a serving of carbs is no larger than a fist. Important for a low cholesterol diet!
7. Eliminate sugary soft drinks and sugery fruit juices Important for a low cholesterol diet!Switch to diet sodas and water. Aim for 8 glasses of water a day.
8. Eat fish three times a week Important for a low cholesterol diet! Deep-water fish that contains omega-3s will protect your heart from disease. Look for wild salmon, mackerel and sardines. You also can get omega-3s from fortified eggs.
9. Carry healthy snacks with you Fill small bags with almonds or walnuts, or keep a low-fat yogurt handy to stave off candy and cookie temptation. Other good choices: apple slices with a spoonful of peanut butter or low-fat string cheese.
10. Allow yourself a treat It’s natural to splurge now and then, just don’t use it as an excuse to binge.
Back to Low Cholesterol Diet Page from Loose Weight for Good
Back to Home Page